Solar Hot Water Troubleshooting
Troubleshooting When There is No Hot Water
During times when there is a lot of wind and rain, you may experience a loss of hot water from your hot water system. Here are a few tips that may get your system back on track again.
The reset button needs to be reset if system overheats and/or to get the electrical element to work again. Here are instructions how to do this:
a. Turn OFF “Water Heater Breaker” located inside of main electrical breaker panel.
b. Remove cover plate where the electrical thermostat is located (see diagram below) by using a Phillips screwdriver.
c. Press “Red Reset Button” on the electrical thermostat. Place cover plate back on with the Phillips screwdriver.
d. Turn main breaker panel back ON.
e. Make sure timer is switched to the ON position. Water will take approximately 30 minutes to heat.
f. You may turn timer on as you please, as this is what the electrical back up is for.
Here are a few other tips:
1. You may have used your supply of sun-heated water. Wait for system to restore supply, or turn on the electrical timer for an hour or so. If this happens constantly, you might want to resize your tank. Call us to get more information.
2. Check all plugs and breaker switches to make sure they are ON or plugged in.
3. Make sure all valves are turned ON. ON is signified on the pipe or the handle points in the direction of the flow of the water.
4. Check for leaks, which could cause pressure to drop.
5. Make sure timer is set for correct time of day.
If you have any questions about your solar hot water system, call Haleakala Solar at 643-8000 for service, Monday to Friday, 7:30 am to 3:30 pm. For your convenience, you may also contact us through email using our contact form.